11 Nov 2006

Tis the Season?

I work in an office above the Copley Mall in Boston, and the mall has already been decorated with garlands, wreaths and sales advertisements in anticipation of Christmas. Christmas is still almost two months away! This holiday season, at least in its commercial form, keeps getting longer and longer. I will refer the reader of this blog to my rant concerning Halloween for my thoughts on the subject.

Yes, I should point out that my feeling that the Republicans would pull off a last minute rebound in the elections was wrong. But, as the Economist pointed out, if you bet against yourself then no matter what happens you can feel good. So, yes I was wrong. Thank God! Also, Tim's endorsed candidate for the Senate in Virginia, former Secretary of the Navy Jim Webb (D), beat the presidential hopeful George Allen (R), in the tie-breaking seat for Senate control. Thats two for the price of one. Hopefully the victory for such Democratic moderates as Tester and Webb in the Senate bodes well for American politics. I am a little hopeful, even though I am sure American politics is going to get a lot hotter and nastier over the next two years. McCain should still be the eventual Presidential winner in 2008. That's my endorsement.

Anyway, it looks like Madison can rest easy knowing that the American system is righting itself (no pun intended) a little. And we have a potential female Speaker of the House, which is a nice advancement (whatever her politics may be). And George Bush is immediately acting smarter, which is also a welcome change. Things are looking a little better these days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that it's semi-official that McCain will run in 08, I'm thinking that we should try to find out how we can get involved in the campaign. Perhaps, we could get involved up in NH in some capacity.

Anonymous said...

I remember in 2000 Joe and I stowed away on the Bill Bradley bus and rode up to NH from Charlottesville. Once we got on the ground we promptly found our way to McCain HQ and picked up some signs to hold on the side of the road.

Kochevnik said...

I'm willing to pitch in.

Anonymous said...

i joined the boston mccain group over at meetup.com. They're not active yet but it's start at least. I was thinking about joining the Republican club as well, however, I'm not sure what flavour of Repbulican they are.

Pace said...

Of the condenders I have seen, McCain is the best option. Other Republicans do not like him though because he has a mnd of his own. Do not underestimate the party's ability to crush him.