26 Nov 2006

A Modest Proposal

This is just me thinking out loud on this one...

On Friday I had the dubious honor of dropping my wife off at her sales job...at five in the morning. Her place of work was already swarming with eager shoppers, and was such a notable event that the television camera crews were already filming it for the evening news. Thus began "Black Friday", the day of frenzied shopping resembling ever so much a school of sharks around fresh meat. Economic sources indicate that this day of mayhem is likely to be matched in sales on "Cyber Monday" (when apparently millions of slackers use their companies' internet connections to purchase Christmas presents) and the last Saturday before Christmas (which is generally when slackers like me - men? - go shopping).

All this leads me to wonder: are people overdoing this Christmas (sorry, Holiday) shopping/giftgiving thing? I wonder because the fact that everyone does it at the same time makes me feel like ultimately it is a meaningless gesture. Everyone gets so many purchased presents from everyone else that they know that I think it's lost all point. I long ago stopped telling people "what I want for Christmas".

Here is my modest proposal: people should get back to enjoying Christmas, or whichever other Solstice-themed religious holiday will stand in. Feast and be merry. If you want to give people presents, give your family and friends gifts in January or February, which is the bleaker, more un-festive part of winter that needs some cheer. And the after-Christmas sales of surplus mean that the shopping will be cheaper. Or you could *gasp* make something special for your loved ones, rather than purchase various goods made in factories in China as a means to symbolize your love and generousity. Of course, some people would be offended that you are not giving them presents specifically ON Christmas, but if so those people obviously aren't that close to you and do not deserve presents anyway.

I would like to put this modest proposal into practice, but something tells me I will give in to the herd mentality, like everyone else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo. I agree that this Christmas consumerism is out of control. I read that some guy in CT shot another guy for a PS3, and there have been a number of other altercations and robberies related to the PS3.
I was watching the film The Day After the other day. It's from 1983 and it shows the aftermath of a Soviet nuclear strike on a town in Kansas. I could help but relate the post-apocalyptic scenes in that film to the 'Black Friday' crowds.
If people can't behave in a civilised manner whilst queuing for a video game(I maxed out on UK English there), imagine what would happen in this country if a few hundred ICBMs were detonated over our major cities and people had to feed themselves and their children. Damn!

Anonymous said...

Christmas as practiced in America epitomises the decadence and materialism that society has come to represent. As I already said, I will be giving some people burned copies of media I have downloaded that they might like. My father gave me a good gift last year of donating to a charity in my name.

Do not buy someone useless crap they do not need. Even if it is something they want, as Mark said, give it to them some other time when it will be a real surprise.

I am no longer Christian, but material gift giving on Christmas has come to completely dominate a holiday with a much different meaning. Remember too that Christmas taking place just near the Winter Solstace means that it is just a replacement for pagan holidays like Saturnalia just as Chanukah's and Kwanzaa are substitutes for Christmas.

Do not replace other cultures or religious holidays with your own - be original.

That is my rant.