5 Oct 2006

Cuban Centenarians, et al.

I liked this article on the BBC about Cubans over 100 years old, and their theories on how to live a long life. While the scientific truth probably has more to do with their genetic backgrounds (since a high number of them had centenarian parents), I think that at the same time the philosophy that they have lived by is worth following: work hard (in a real, productive job), eat well, and give yourself your indulgences, as long as its not something as addictive and destructive as alcohol (some might disagree with smoking cigars as well, but then again there are much worse forms of smoking). Also, apparently getting some is good for you too.

All this seems to fly in the face of the American lifestyle. What's worse (from the American viewpoint) is that this study would seem to demonstrate that communism can be good for one's health (cue the Monty Python mallets and American cries of "No, no, WRONG!"). I'm not condoning Castroism, mind you, but just noting that apparently people can live full lives even under a dictatorship.

Also, I realise that this is not terribly important, nor is related to Cuba or Condi Rice, Mark Foley, developments in the Middle East, the state of the economy, or scientific advances, but here I go. A number of you enjoy the British science fiction series Doctor Who, and so I thought I'd share that I've been spending too much of my time reading an online ratings guide evaluating every episode, season, movie and book. Wow. That's a lot of postings from Britain, but in my opinion rather entertaining. Possibly too much so.

1 comment:

the cyberpanopticon said...

Hey, Mark. That Dr. Who site is really a treasure trove! 'Who' knew that all of this stuff was out there?
I saw that Genesis of the Daleks recently came out on DVD. I was thinking about picking that up. Can you say Dr. Who marathon a la 1996?